Ayurveda believes that every thing in this universe is made up of five basic elements in different proportions
Akash(Ether),Vayu(Air),Agni(Fire),Prithvi(Earth)and Jal(Water).Characteristics of these elements are
- Space (Ether) – Present in hollow cavities within body and empty areas of cosmos and transmits sound.
- Air – Light, Dry, Subtle, Mobile, Transparent, Rough are the properties of Air. It is responsible for movement, dryness in the body.
- Fire – It is hot, sharp, intense and light. It emits light and heat.
- Earth – It is solid, dense, stable, heavy and hard.It constitutes the solid structures in the universe and our body.
- Water – It is moist,sticky,cool,soft and oily .